Monday, November 16, 2009

Extra! Extra! READ all about it!

Its been a while since I updated my reading list. I have finished several titles since this was posted, and am on a current non-stop, a book a week (almost) frenzy. I don't spend much time reading, but do like to indulge in story time about an hour before bed each night.

Update/Opinion on Finished Books

1. Swapping Lives by Jane Green - Liked it. I like most everything by Jane Green though. She writes British chick lit, and I'm a fan of sappy stories. Swapping Lives is about two women who think the grass is greener on the other side, and embark on a quest to discover, or rediscover, who they really are. I can relate to that because I seem to always be searching for the next step. It was a cute novel, without being too sappy and lovey. Great beach/plane read.

2. Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger - I actually listened to the book on tape during my summer travels. This book was okay, but to me, a lot like "The Devil Wears Prada." Same premise of a girl trying to make her way with a tough job, and then giving it up at the end. It was just okay....I'm not going to give this a rave review, but it wasn't just horrible like....

3. Baby Proof by Emily Giffin - Why was this horrible? Because the heroin in the story is completely disillusioned. She spends the almost the entire time blaming her husband for ruining their marriage because he wants to have a baby and she doesn't. But...she's the one who walked out and left him. And her best friend is just encouraging her anger and resentment the whole time. Seriously? This is why women get a bad rap for being crazy! I didn't like the main character of this book at all....and I didn't like the book.

4. Miss Julia Strikes Back by Ann B. Ross - I bought this book at Walgreens on my way to the airport leaving Idaho. I should have gone with the other choice I found because I didn't even finish this book. It was THAT annoying to me. The main character, Miss Julie, is a busy older lady that was just annoying to me. And when they introduced a lazy, drunk fat detective into it, I just had to put it down. Did not like it at all.

5. The Penny by Joyce Meyer and Deborah Bedford - This is a Christian lit book that I typically stay away from, but gave it a chance. It took me a very long time to read this book because some of the content was emotionally exhausting. The main character struggles through finding salvation and self worth, and is a victim of physical and sexual abuse. The book was good, and I enjoyed the story of grace and salvation, but dealing with the abuse was hard. I used to volunteer and later work at a shelter that hid abused women and children. I have seen what this does to a person first hand, and it is very difficult. That was the most emotionally taxing job I have ever had. And though they didn't go into detail and describe all that Jenny, the main character, went through, it still brought images of beautiful children that I saw scarred by anger, hatred, and sin. I would recommend this from the stand point of it showing God's grace and the progression of sanctification, but, like I said, it was a hard read emotionally. I cried several times, and I typically like to read happy books before bed.

6. Second Chance by Jane Green - This is the 3rd or 4th Jane Green book I have read, and again, I liked it, even though it was a bit different than the others. This one was kinda sad at times too because it dealt with grief and the aftermath of losing someone you love. But it also dealt with a group of friends coming back together and rediscovering their bond after many years of being separated. There is one character that they concentrate on more than the others, but it is really a story about multiple characters and how their lives intertwine. It was a fast read, and a great one for beach, plane, or before bed.

Books in the que:

1. The Opposite of Love by Julie Buxbaum - I have about two nights left with this one. Its a story about a 29 year old single girl living in NYC and trying to figure out life. You would think I could relate to the character! ; ) She's a bit harder than me, though, and has a few more walls built up. What I will say is that they use the "f" word A LOT in this book, which bothers me. Because when you read it, it gets stuck in your head. Also, I can tell the author of this novel is not a very happy person. But, I'm enjoying the book so far.

2. Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella - Just watched the movie last night and can't wait to get into the series of books!

3. Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophea Kinsella

4. Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella

5. Sleeping Arrangements by Madeleine Wickham (The Shopaholic writer under a different name.)

3 comments:

AprilJ said...

I read all the Sophie Kinsella books this summer while Clayton was in Guam. They are a fast read and really pretty funny. If you liked the movie, you'll really enjoy the books. They're better than the movie for sure. Have you read The Time Traveler's Wife? Also a good read..far better than the flick.

jenn-laughs said...

I've been wanting to read Confessions of a Shopaholic. I heard that it was good, so I think I'll pick that up next. I am reading Julie Andrews memoir right now. Yes, a happy ending before bed is a must!

Sher said...

Yeah...I finished "The Opposite of Love" last night. I wouldn't call the ending "happy," but it was peaceful. I mean, I completely sobbed in bed the last 5 or 6 chapters. Juliet was trying to sleep and completely bothered that I was crying and disturbing her. (Cats...) Gotta switch to something that is not so sad!

And April, I haven't read "The Time Traveler's Wife." I hear its good. Is it sad? Maybe I'll do that after the first few shopaholic books.