Friday, November 7, 2008

Bully's Best Banana Bread

Apparently I am a banana bread genius. Actually, I am not, but I can follow a simple recipe and end up pleasing tons of people. I have made three loaves of this banana bread in the last week, and they have disappeared faster than I can say "Does anyone want some banana bread?" Try it out!

Banana Bread (From my alumni cookbook at MSU)

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar (or make it low-fat with Splenda)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup oil
3 tablespoons buttermilk (I always use low-fat.)
3 bananas, mashed
½ cup chopped pecans, optional

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 9/5/3-inch loaf pan; set aside. Sift together flour, soda, and salt. Add sugar, eggs, oil and buttermilk; stir to blend. Fold in bananas and nuts (if desired). Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cooking time will vary with each oven. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Yields 1 loaf.

4 comments:

Jana said...

can you just use 2% milk instead of butter milk. i have all of the ingredients but that

Sher said...

Hmmm....try it out and let me know. I have no idea! This is the only recipe I have ever used for banana bread, and I have only made it three times. You can try. I did google buttermilk substitution and found this: http://www.nomilk.com/buttermilk.txt. Hmmm....

Sher said...

Try warming 3 tablespoons of milk and mixing in 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. That's what I came up with.

Jana said...

i tried it w/ just 2% milk. it turned out yummy but was a little too mushy.

making the pumpkin bars tonight. will let ya know what happens!