Monday, May 3, 2010

Cream Cheese Cookies

Cinco de Mayo is this week. Its a Mexican holiday, but celebrated quite fervently in my former Texas hometown. I love any excuse to have a party, especially when you get to drink margaritas.

I've been reading quite a few blogs that have featured Cinco de Mayo recipes lately. Many of them are lime-flavored cookies. I've been trying to decide exactly which cookie I would make in honor of the holiday. While doing that, I put out a request on Twitter and Facebook for feedback. In the midst of that, an old high school friend sent me the following recipe. Sounds delish! I had to post! Maybe I'll make these instead!

Cream Cheese Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened
1 (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions: Cream butter and cream cheese. Slowly add sugar, beating until fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. Add flour and vanilla; mix well. Chill dough at least 1 hour. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes. These cookies DO NOT brown. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting Ingredients:
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 tsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (3 1/2 oz) cream cheese, softened

Side note from Rachel: My mom has always made these at Christmas time and puts red and green candied cherry halves on top. I top with a peppermint or crushed peppermint, or use peppermint flavoring for Christmas. For spring and summer, I love to do lemon iced ones and add just a hint of yellow color to the icing (these may be my favorites). I keep meaning to make some using the strawberry cream cheese in the frosting and see how that turns out, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think lime sounds yummy. Orange or banana might be good, too. Such a good cookie, and so versatile! And you can switch the vanilla in either the cookie or the icing to flavor whichever (or both)...lots of variations!

Thanks for the recipe, Rachel! Adding this to my to-do list!

Happy cooking!

No comments: