Monday, May 17, 2010

All about the pineapple

I haven't blogged in a while. I've been busy. And out of town. And sick. And then doing loads and loads of laundry. And sick of the computer. I'm sorry.

I did make a pie this weekend. I made my great-grandmother's pineapple pie for my neighbors. I gave it to one of them, with the disclaimer that I took a chance on the pineapple and coconut combo. I know they don't like nuts. I don't know how they feel about coconut. I'm still getting to know the neighbor boys.

The recipe makes two pies, so I had a piece of the other one last night. It was good....not the BEST pineapple pie I have ever made. (It needed more lime or lemon juice.) But it was still good.

So, since I haven't blogged. And since I'm lazy. I'm just reminding you about my grandmother's pineapple pie recipe...

Also, if you like pineapple, I saw the following recipe on Food Network several years ago. This is an amazing summer dessert! Especially if you love fresh pineapple. And rum.

Grilled pineapple with ice cream and rum sauce
(From Food Network.com)

Ingredients:
1 (3 to 4 pound) pineapple
Cooking spray
2 teaspoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rum
1 pint light vanilla ice cream

Directions:
Cut the top and bottom off of the pineapple, peel and cut it crosswise into 8 rings, about 1/2-inch each. Use a spoon or apple corer to carve out the center core of each ring.

Spray a large grill pan with cooking spray and heat over a medium flame. Grill the pineapple, in 2 or 3 batches, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until it is nicely brown and grill marks have appeared. (You can also grill this on an outdoor grill sprayed with cooking spray before being heated.)

While the last batch of pineapple cooks, heat the butter, sugar and rum in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat.

Place a pineapple ring on each plate, scoop 1/4 cup of ice cream into the center of the ring, and drizzle about 2 teaspoons of sauce on top.

No comments: