Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tools of the Trade Tuesday: Pretty Pie Plate

I haven't done a Tuesday tool tip in a while, so I thought I would post about my pie plate. I love my pie plate. Its perfect, and it bakes perfect pies. And quiches. And lots of other round things. I purchased this piece of bakeware for about $10 at the "Amish Walmart." Its not really a Walmart. Its just superstore that has all sorts of cheap treasures. And Amish people.

I will admit that the pie plate is probably the best thing that came out of Amish country. (No offense Julie...) Even though last summer's vacation was totally awesome...I have had enough farm tours for my lifetime! : ) However, the pie plate, that was a super awesome price, was worth the 19 hour drive to Pennsylvania. (Okay, maybe not...but its a pretty great pie plate.)

The plate, designed by Nordic Ware, is a sturdy aluminum design, with a spacious plastic cover. The company website says the aluminum allows the contents to bake evenly, and I can testify that is true. It is a very good baking dish, as with all of my Nordic Ware pieces. (I have the bundt pan too!)

If you are going to bake the perfect pie, I guess you need a recipe. Here's one I made this week:

Chocolate Chess Pie
From: Mrs. Rowe's Little Book of Southern Pies

Ingredients:
1/2 Pie Crust Recipe
1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
Pinch of salt
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (1/2 stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the rolled-out crust.

2. Mix sugar, cocoa and salt together, then blend in the milk, eggs, butter and vanilla. Pour the filling into the crust.

3. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes (or even 60....), until almost completely set. The filling should be wobbly in the center when the pan is jiggled. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack, and then chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours, or overnight, before slicing. Serve chilled.

No comments: