Saturday, February 28, 2009

Don't worry...because I've got the wine!!!

One of my all time favorite movie lines is in the horseback riding scene in The Wedding Planner. After Jennifer Lopez is rescued from the runaway horse, she and Matthew McConaughey (pause and dwell on his hotness) return to the rest of the group and M.M.'s future mother-in-law exclaimes..."Don't worry...because I've got the wine!" Why this is so funny to me, I don't know. But if you ever hear me say that in random conversation, its because I love that movie and that line.

A couple of years ago my former boss invited me and my coworkers to a wine tasting that he won in an auction. It was very intruiguing and informative, and since I have enjoyed learning about different wines. I have also made several trips to Napa and Sonoma where I have toured vineyards and wineries to learn about the winemaking process. I wouldn't call myself a wine enthusiast, but definitely a wine enjoyer. I can appreciate a good glass of wine, and love sitting down with friends to open a new bottle and try different kinds.

At first I was into reds, but then switched to blushes and whites. Then I moved on to the fruity stuff for a while, and now I am back reds. There is nothing like a full-bodied, bold, rich red. I just love all of the aroma and flavors in a red! The best description I think I have ever heard was about a red that is "strapping, muscular and downright powerful, with plenty of smoky aromas!" That's how I like my men! And...that's how I like my wine!

I have to admit I am not one who is well-informed about choosing the type of wine to go with a meal. I know your basics about red with red meat and heavy fish, and white with poltry and lighter dishes. But I do take advice well, and am willing to discover and try out something someone suggests. (I miss my Fort Worth wine guy!)

From time to time I am going to start suggesting a wine to go with certain dishes I make. I am also looking for suggestions from readers. If I hear anything good, I will be sure to include it. But please, feel free to leave suggestions about your tastes and preferences.

I started my own little wine collection that I have built up over the years. It's not much, and nothing expensive is in it, but I do have sevearal really good wines that I enjoy. I keep holding on and saving them, waiting for a special occasion...so maybe I will have to break those out sometime soon!


Happy cooking! Don't drink and drive!

My current holdings:


2006 Moscato D'Asti - San Silvestro (Italy)
2000 Victorian Claret - Guenoc (Northern California)
2005 Los Carneros Syrah - Cline Cellars (Sonoma, CA)
2006 Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel - Sebastiani (Sonoma, CA)
2005 Riesling - Carrick (New Zealand)


And probably one of my most favorite I have tried...

2004 Syrah - Yelcho (Chile)

No comments: