Tuesday, March 3, 2009

March Marsala Madness

So, I had a bunch of mushrooms in my fridge that needed to be used up. What can I do with mushrooms? I decided to try making chicken marsala just to see if I could do it. It was an experiment, and not chef perfect, but I think it tasted pretty good!

Chicken Marsala a la Sheri

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders
1 - 1 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
sweet marsala wine -OR-
marsala cooking wine (which is what I used)
kosher salt
pepper
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat grill pan or skillet with EVOO. Heat on medium. When oil is hot, lay chicken tenders in pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with mushrooms and onions. Pour generous amount of marsala wine on top. Sear in pan, turning chicken every few minutes, then transfer to oven and bake chicken until done.
**I had a problem with my liquid evaporating in the oven, so I had to add more. Be sure to keep enough liquid in your dish so it stays nice and moist.


Baked Asparagus
1 bunch of asparagus
1 lime
1 lemon
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
EVOO
salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Wash and cut asparagus. Lay flat in glass dish. Drizzle with EVOO and then salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze juice of one lime and lemon over top of asparagus. Slice butter and lay on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Parmesan pasta

1/2 box whole grain/wheat thin spaghetti
1 tablespoon of EVOO (or to taste)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Directions: Cook pasta according to directions on package. Strain and transfer to a bowl quickly. While hot, add EVOO cheese and butter. Stir until cheese is melted.
Other suggested sides: garlic bread, salad, or cooked spinach.
Wine pairings: Pinot Noir, Merlot, Chardonnay

No comments: