Monday, July 27, 2009

Christmas in July


In the spirit of Christmas (and the fact that some Michael Buble Christmas tunes came across on my iPod this morning) I thought I would share a couple of family recipes that are near and dear to our holiday hearts.

When I was a kid I grew up baking these candies with my grandmother and aunt before Christmas. I have so many wonderful memories of standing in my Mamaw's kitchen making candy...swatting papaw's hands away from the fudge bowl. (He was a self-declared taste-tester.) We made all kinds of holiday treats like divinity, fudge, chocolate-covered EVERYTHING, haystacks, and two of my favorites, both listed below. The memories of those days spent in the kitchen will remain with me forever! Some of the recipes will as well! I hope you enjoy!

Martha Washington Balls

Ingredients:
2 (1-pound) boxes powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups flaked coconut
2 cups finely chopped pecans
1 pkg. Chocolate Almond Bark (for dipping)

Directions: Combine powdered sugar, butter, sweetened condensed milk, coconut and pecans together, mixing well. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on a waxed paper lined baking sheet. Chill. Melt chocolate almond bark in double boiler. Using a wooden pick, dip candy balls into chocolate and place on prepared baking sheet. Chill until chocolate is firm. Makes about 4 dozen candies.
Note: Try toasting the coconut for additional crunch and scrumptious flavor!

Buckeye Balls (AKA Peanut Butter Balls)

Ingredients:
12 oz. peanut butter
1 stick butter
1 lb. confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. chocolate bark

Directions: Mix sugar, butter, peanut butter, and vanilla together. Make into balls and chill. Melt chocolate in double boiler (or saucepan over boiling water). Stick toothpick in balls and dip into chocolate. Cool on wax paper.

No comments: