Monday, October 18, 2010

Halloween Arts & Crafts

I got this great idea to make cat pumpkins from Good Housekeeping this year. I mean...who doesn't want cat pumpkins in their front yard? So, I set out to make them. Here was my process:

1. Find two regular pumpkins, 2 small pumpkins, and 4 tiny pumpkins.

2. Get some black spray paint, felt, hot glue, acrylic paint, ribbon, and sharp sticks.

3. Cut the stems off of the pumpkins, or get your neighbor to do it for you. (Don't judge. He offered.)

4. Spray paint pumpkins in black. Might take a couple of coats. Let it dry in between coats! : )

5. Once the black paint is dry, take the small pumpkin and stick it on top of the big pumpkin. (Difficult steps, I know.)

6. Take some kind of sharp stick and poke it through the top pumpkin into the bottom. I used small garden stakes. I took a hammer and just banged them right on down. I also stabbed myself with the sharp end in the process.

7. Take the tiny pumpkins and stake them into the bottom to make feet.

8. Get a light colored acrylic paint and make cat eyes. I used yellow.

9. Cut four ears out of felt. I outlined them in silver glitter puff paint. It made them real pretty.

10. Glue ears on top of small pumpkin in the place where ears go. Be very, very careful though! Hot glue on skin DOES NOT FEEL GOOD!!!! Don't learn this lesson the hard way.

11. Take ribbon and wrap it around the cat's neck. Don't choke it! Make it loose enough to breathe....And hot glue the two ends together in the back. But don't burn your finger. Seriously. Take. My. Word. For. It.

12. Set your cat pumpkins up in the yard, on the porch, or in the house. People will love them.

Meet Fritz. People love him.

Meet Hans. People like him too.


Fritz and Hans live in the front yard, and I think they are mostly happy. They watch over the bones of the last trespasser. God rest his soul. They also make sure no one messes with my witches cauldron. I have spells to conduct after all.



*Disclaimer - No cats were actually hurt in the process of making these. However, some pumpkins were. In fact, I don't think Hans will make it munch longer. His head is already rotting. Dang.



No comments: