Thursday, October 29, 2009

Crikey! I've lost my mojo!



No seriously. I'm serious. I have really lost my mojo. But in the way you are thinking. I have lost my baking mojo. Case in point:

1. Tried to make a batch of April's Super Yummy Brownies about a month ago. I put them in the wrong size dish. They burned. The texture was all wrong. They turned out to be super YUCKY!

2. Saturday I attempted to make a simple batch of pumpkin bread. Except I substituted Splenda for sugar and self-rising flour for all purpose flour + baking soda. The bread was flat, a weird color, dense, and not tasty.

3. I recently burned break-n-bake cookies. Who does that?

For those that know me well, or those who have tasted my delectable treats, you know this is very un-Sheri like. I've been baking since I was a kid. I was a semi-finalist in a cooking contest last year. I don't screw stuff up like this. Ever. That is...until now.

I'm blaming Mississippi. I haven't done a lot of baking since I moved. I could also blame work for keeping me busy and distracted. Really, the cause is inexplicable. I have no idea why my dishes are failing, and failing so often. I mean, this is me. The gal who wants to own her own bakery one day. Why am I having such a hard time in the kitchen?

I plan on redeeming myself over the next few weeks. I have to work myself out of this slump before the mad rush of holiday baking season. My family will be counting on me for lots of tasty treats. Maybe I'll start with my "never fail" banana bread, or something easy like a boxed cake. Whatever it is...I gotta shake it! Life is so empty without cooking! : )

1 comment:

AprilJ said...

Poor Sheri... try the super yummy brownies again. I made them for a dinner party a few weeks ago and the kids gobbled them up. Hey, I need an idea for a fall potluck at Clayton's squadron on Saturday. I'm imagining a room full of chili as the only direction we were given was "bring your favorite fall dish". Any suggestions?!