Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Very quick football update:

So, about the only thing that went over well at my Super Bowl party was the BBQ. They loved it. You should buy The Pioneer Woman's cookbook so you can make it and wow your friends. But things that I have learned from my friends since I moved back:

1. They don't eat much. Not even the guys. Which is so bizarre to me! I'm used to cooking for my 12 secret boyfriends in Fort Worth, or my family, and the men that I'm used to cooking for EAT. A. LOT. A whole lot. The folks that came to Super Bowl Sunday didn't eat much.

2. I'm not perfect at cook. Of course, I knew that already. I mean, I recently complained about losing my mojo. But, my homemade tortilla chips were not well received. Oh well...I tried!

3. Most of the folks I cook for here have a very limited pallet. In other words, (brace yourselves, Texas)...they don't eat guacamole. Seriously. I think I am the ONLY one who ate the homemade guac, which, by the way, was FANTASTIC!!!! I brought it to work the next day and my grad student ate it. He liked it. He's much more sophisticated than the folks that came over I guess. : ) (Love you, non-guac-eaters.)

The Super Bowl party was fun, despite the fact that I had (and still have) tons of food leftover. At least I didn't spend much money, and at least the BBQ freezes!!!

I'll leave you with a recipe for the guacomole and one we whipped up on the fly after I learned several food providers weren't going to make it at the last minute. It was quite tasty, and came off the back of a can of black beans.

Guacamole:

4 firm, ripe avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
1/2 medium white onion, minced (about 4 tablespoons)
2 Roma tomatoes chopped and seeds/mushy stuff gutted
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 medium lime, freshly squeezed (about 2 tablespoons)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions: In a medium bowl, coarsely mash the avocado. Lightly mix in the onion, cilantro and the lime juice. Season the guacamole liberally with salt and pepper.

Black Bean and Corn Salsa:
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can shoepeg corn (drained)
1 can diced tomatoes with basil and oregano flavor (drained, but reserve liquid**)
1 can regular diced tomatoes (drained)
1/2 chopped onion (or to taste)
chopped jalapenos to taste
8 oz. light Itallian dressing
fresh chopped cilantro to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Mix all ingredients together and let sit in the refrigerator one hour prior to serving.

** On the can it does not say to drain the diced tomatoes, however, we noticed it made it very soupy. Try draining all the tomatoes, but if you need more liquid after you add the Italian dressing, use some of the liquid from the flavored diced tomatoes.

No comments: