Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hey, Sheri....WAKE UP!!!!

I will start this blog off by saying I am not awake right now. Not at all. In fact, I am not quite sure when I have been this tired. Not in a while. But its Thursday, which means the weekend is only 15 working hours away. I think my busy Christmas caught up with me yesterday.

I used to never eat breakfast. I just didn't see the point. I wasn't too hungry in the morning, and why not just wait until lunch. That was until a friend pointed out the benefits of starting your day with a healthy meal. It jump starts your metabolism, helps you wake up, and provides nutrients (if you eat right) that you need in the day. So then I became a breakfast person.

I am not a morning person, by any means. Which means I really, really hate to wake up and get out of bed. In fact, I set three alarms to go off at three different times. Today I slept through the first two and must have snoozed the third in my sleep a few times. This is not out of the ordinary for me. I finally gained consciousness around 7:10 or so...way later than normal. This is really not out of the ordinary either.

Since I am so hard to wake up, and since I am usually not chipper for the first....few....hours, then I am always running late to work. I mean, let's be honest. I just am. That also means I need something quick that I can eat in the car or at my desk. In an effort to be healthy, I decided smoothies would be my option for the next few days. I can make it the night before, pop it in the fridge, and then grab it on my way out of the door. It ended up being quite a delicious breakfast, that I paired with a piece of fruit, and I believe I might have a winner for my morning start.

"Wake up Sheri" Smoothie

Ingredients:
1 fresh banana (Frozen tends to be too hard to blend.)
6-7 frozen strawberries
1-8 oz. cup of fat free Greek yogurt (I used vanilla)

Directions: Throw it all in a blender and press puree. Easy as that!

Like I said, I make these the night before since I'm always running late. I just put it in the fridge in a to-go cup, and grab it as I leave. I also will try to eat an apple or other piece of fruit about an hour or so after I drink the smoothie. Its a great, healthy way to start your day. I also bought a bag of frozen mango, strawberry and pineapple that I am going to mix with vanilla yogurt. Might even try a berry mix with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Yum-o!

No comments: