Sunday, July 13, 2008

Everything I know I learned from a cupcake blog...


So, since work was slow last week, I spent one afternoon browsing cupcake blogs for ideas. (Cupcaking is a very popular area of baking right now!) I came across an article about a cupcaker in a town where some good friends of mine live and decided I had to steal the idea and try it. So....here is my adaptation of scrumptous new cupcakes:


Chocolate-Coconut Cupakes


Ingredients:

1 box (18.25 oz.) of Devil's Food cake mix

1 cup of low-fat buttermilk (in place of water on the box)

Vegetable oil (amount on the box)

4 large eggs (in place of the amount on the box)

1 1/2 - 2 cups of shredded coconut

1 large can of cream cheese icing (unless you want to make your own)


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. LIne 24 muffin cups with paper liners.

2. Follow the box instructions (with substitutions above), putting all ingredients in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at low to medium speed until well mixed.

3. Add 1 cup of coconut (or to taste) and beat again.

3. Spoon batter into a zip-top bag. Snip a 1/4 inch corner from the bag and fill paper liners 2/3 full.

4. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. (My oven was about 18 minutes exactly.) Place on wire rack to cool.

5. Place remaining coconut on ungreased cookie sheet and toast in oven. (About 7 minutes, but watch it closely.) Remove from oven and set aside.

6. When cupcakes are cooled, frost with cream cheese icing. Finish by sprinkling cupcakes with toasted coconut. Yields about 24 cupcakes.


I have to say that these were a hit not only in my apartment, but also at a party I attended Friday night. If you like coconut and chocolate, you will REALLY like these. I even over-toasted some of the coconut and it made it taste like a roasted marshmallow. SOOOO GOOD! This is definitely something that will be served at Sweet Miss Sheri Ann's!

No comments: