Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mexican Freeze-Esta

One of my friends is going through some crazy stuff right now, so a few of us got together to cook several easy to freeze and reheat meals for her family. I chose to do chicken enchiladas that my friend Becky taught me to make several years ago. Not gonna lie...This recipe came off of a can of enchilada sauce, but it is really, really good! It is also very easy to make, and can be frozen and reheated very easily.

Creamy Chicken & Green Chile Enchiladas

Ingredients:
1 lb. uncooked chicken breast strips
1 pkg. 8oz. cream cheese (I use fat free) - cut into strips
1 can (4.5 oz.) chopped green chilies (If you like green chilies, you can use 2)
1 pkg. tortillas (I like to substitute carb friendly or whole grain instead of flour)
1-2 cans (10 oz. each) green enchilada sauce (Can be 1 can of 14 oz.)
1-2 cups of shredded Mexican/fiesta mix cheese

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 9x13 inch pan.
2. Cook chicken in large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink in the center. (I also season chicken with chili powder, cumin, and a fajita mix for added flavor.)
3. Add cream cheese and green chilies; reduce heat to medium.
4. Cook and stir until blended and creme cheese is melted.
5. Spoon chicken filling onto tortillas; roll and place seam side down in baking dish.
6. Pour green enchilada sauce over top; sprinkle with shredded cheese to taste.
7. Bake 15-20 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted. Yields about 8-10 enchiladas.

Now you can either eat this or freeze it. Or just freeze the leftovers. To re-heat after you freeze:

1. Set in refrigerator 24 hours before to thaw. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees.
2. Remove from freezer and place in unpreheated oven. Turn oven on to 375 degrees. Once preheated, continue baking for 15-20 minutes until thoroughly heated.

Suggested sides: Spanish rice, chips and salsa, refried beans

4 comments:

ellieandavasmommy said...

Still one of our favorites AND I've NEVER met anyone who didn't like them!!

ellieandavasmommy said...

We're obsessed with black beans and white mexican cheese now, too. White mexican cheese is the best. We have a friend that calls it "crack cheese" because it's so good, it's bound to have crack in it!

crackers and cheese said...

I made this a couple of weeks ago for a church potluck, and it turned out very yummy! I used canned chicken instead of chicken breasts, which was very easy to mix, but it may have tasted better with non-canned chicken. I also couldn't find a can of just green chiles, so I just used Rotel. I like your seasoning suggestions - I may try those next time.e

Sher said...

Glad this worked out! And, yes...fresh or frozen chicken works best!