Friday, April 16, 2010

An open letter to whoever makes up the AP Stylebook rules...

Dear AP Style Decision Makers,

You have totally crimped my style today. I like correcting grammar. I like telling people, nicely albeit, when they are wrong. I like the fact that I am one of the few people on my block that knew that Web site was supposed to be spelled out like Web site and not Website or website. But then you went and changed the rules today at your silly little conference. Now all those folks out there they always misspelled Web site get to be correct because you changed the official spelling from Web site to website.

I realize this affects only a small portion of the world's population. But for those of us who make a living by following your rules, its just an annoyance. I really liked being right. I really liked telling people I was right and pointing out in my handy dandy Stylebook that I was right. But now they are right, and that's just wrong!

Thanks for listening to my complaints today. I know you changed the spelling because lots of other folks complained. They are just dumb. And wrong. And I"m right. Except now I'm wrong. But the thing is...I know the correct way to spell website now, so when all of my fellow colleagues and PR folks spell out Web site, I can start correcting them.

Thanks
a right writer

1 comment:

ehome said...

I had no idea! Thanks for letting me know - guess it is probably about time for me to order a new Stylebook anyways...I think mine is 2 years old, yikes!