I just love a good movie. Don't you? Whether its in the theater or at home curled up on the couch, movies are a great way to relax and escape from real life. I had an old church buddy tell me one time that my taste in movies was ignorant. Actually, his exact words were that I liked "stupid movies for stupid people." I didn't think that was very nice. He knows a lot about movies though. He runs a movie blog. I can forgive him for calling me stupid because I'm pretty sure I turned around and called him a snob.
My choice in movies may be limited to those "escape from reality" films. I don't watch all chick flicks though! I mean, I love a good romantic comedy, but I'm also way into sports movies and movies about spies/FBI/conspiracy theories/etc. And I like Star Wars. However, I will admit that the majority of the films in my collection do fall under the chick flick genre. What can I say? I'm a girl! We love the romance!
So last week the question was posed to me about my top 5 all-time favorite movies. That's a tough one. I avoided answering the question because 1. the boys dominated the conversation with their Braveheart, Last of the Mohicans, manly man choices; and 2. I was a bit embarrassed to admit that my choices were far less compelling and serious. But after one of the said gentlemen emailed me about going to see "The Last Song" this weekend, and telling me "it was awesome," then I can feel safe to admit my top 5 all-time favorite movies. So here they are...
*Disclaimer - My list fluctuates from year to year...and this could change at any given moment in time...*
Sheri's Top 5 All-Time Favorite Movies (in no particular order)
1. Pearl Harbor - Saw this in the theater with a boy. He cried more than I did, but I love the movie. Now I cry every single time I watch it because, to me, it is romantic and moving. And I don't care if you judge me. I LOVE this movie!
2. Sweet Home Alabama - Which is dangerously close to falling off the list? Maybe? I'm not sure. But I do love this movie. It came out shortly after I had moved to Texas, and a was so much like home that I saw it in the theater twice. My Texas friends couldn't understand it. Plus, apart from it reminding me of home, it has Hotty McHothot Josh Lucas and Patrick "McDreamy" Dempsy. And I've always had a girl crush on Reese Witherspoon. Okay, so maybe it won't drop off my list.
3. Spy Game - Four words for you. Brad. Pitt. Robert. Redford. Need I say more? Oh, and its action packed and suspenseful too.
4. Julie & Julia - Its a newer one, but it falls on my top 5 list because 1. I love to blog. (Duh) 2. I have a cooking blog (Double Duh) and 3. its about cooking and food. Seriously, this movie was made for me. I'm sure the book is good too. Maybe I'll borrow it from my mom one day. Meryl Strep in quickly becoming one of my favorite actresses. Have you seen "Its Complicated?" HILARIOUS! She is GREAT as Julia Child too!
5. Becoming Jane - Have you seen this one? If not, you should watch it. It is terribly tragic and heartbreaking. Jane falls in love. The love is returned, but then forbidden. They run away together, but she backs out. Then she never marries, becomes a fantastically famous writer, and her one true love names his first daughter after her. Talk about making a girl cry!
Also, other favorites include: Moulin Rouge, Armageddon, Fools Rush In, The Wedding Planner, Pride and Prejudice (both the BBC and Keira Knightly versions), The Last King of Scotland, Love Actually, The Holiday, Miss Potter....and the list goes on and on and on and on and on.
What are some of your faves?