Sunday, March 14, 2010

More craft time: EAT

UPDATE: In my search for home office decor today, I ran across a super cute EAT sign from Pottery Barn, AND its on sale! Check it out!!!

____________________________________________

Have you ever seen the show Cougar Town starring Courtney Cox? Its pretty decent. I mean...weird at times, but still okay.

Anyway, in Courtney's kitchen, she has the letters E-A-T on the wall. The letters are from Anthropoligie, and I actually saw these a year or so ago and almost bought them to spell out my niece's name in her room.

I thought it was a great idea for the kitchen, but the letters cost $14.00 a piece. Hmmm...I figured I could figure out a way to do them cheaper. So, here's what I came up with.

I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased the necessary letters for about $3.50. (They were on sale half off.)



Next, I went to the fabric store and bought scrap pieces for $5.00.


I covered the letters with the cloth and secured them with hot glue. I have to say, I had to get a little creative with the different angles and cut outs. If you look up close, there are definite imperfections. But, they are hanging high on a wall so no one can really tell.

Here you can see how I covered the "legs" of the E. I did the same with the T. I then when back over this and covered with a solid piece of fabric.


I even had a little help. Or....Juliet came and sat down on top of my fabric right in the middle of the craft table.


Here is the end product. I have Fiestaware dishes, and the letters coordinate with my dishes. They also coordinate with a Mexican dish I have hanging on another wall.


The project ended up costing me less than $10.00. That's pretty good compared to the $14.00 letters I could have bougth pre-covered. Sure the Anthropologie letters are probably cuter, but I think mine look pretty good too!


2 comments:

Jenn said...

I love these Sheri! They look awesome! I had been wanting something like that for the kids rooms when we get them. Thanks for the great idea!

Sher said...

Sounds fun! It would also be cool to get wooden letters and paint them. They sell all kinds of stuff like that at Hobby Lobby and Michaels!