Friday, March 5, 2010

Sheri, sheri, quite contrary....

How does your garden grow?

Honestly, it just grows. I fiddle with it, and sometimes good things happen. Last year (which was my first year in my house), I just did what needed to be done to stay alive. This year...I have BIG PLANS! In fact, this weekend I am going to continue the big plans. I am going to completely dig up the ugly back flower bed and start over. I've been talking about it for ages, but now that its cool, the ground is damp and loose from lots of winter rains, its a great time to dig, dig, dig.

So, what are my plans?

TA DA!


JUST kidding....

That is way too much work for one person, and there is no way I could maintain that with my busy schedule.

I plan to go simple. I would like a few flowers, some lavendar, and maybe a bush or two. And....depending on the amount of sun I get there (I am starting to observe/measure because I have no idea how much full sun that part of the yard gets during the day...), depending on the amount of sun, maybe more roses. Moving on....

Because this bed runs along the back side of my property, it gets a lot of weeds. I'm guessing due to what's on the other side of the fence. I originally thought I would remove ALL of the dirt, lay down weed control fabric, and replace with new, richer soil...but that seems like a LOT of work for one little girl! So, the plan is to dig up the existing plants and weeds, add a bit more soil, plant and mulch. Then I'll just have to do a better job of maintaining the bed this year. We'll see how that goes....

You know, its kinda funny how I live the most boring life of a single girl EVER! I mean, I spend my weekends cleaning, gardening and doing random projects around the house. One would think that I would be out mingling with other singles, dining out, going to happy hours, shopping till I drop (which I would totally do if I had an endless bank account and no mortgage), etc, etc. HOWEVER, I prefer to bake, do yard work, play tennis, and stay home watching movies and basically tending to my piece of God's earth.

I do realize this may never get me married...because I'm never "out and about" on the town. (Hmmm...) In fact, one of my younger, more "citified" girlfriends told me yesterday that all I need to do is insert husband and baby and I'm set! The days of concerts, clubs, late nights out are most likely completely over. I mean, I've been there, done that, and lived the city life in Fort Worth for several years. Now that I'm in my late 20's, almost 30's, I'm much more of a settled home body.

Yes, my less-than-wild single lifestyle may seem boring to most, but, to me, I think its maturity. You can't spend your life being young and free. With age come responsibility. And with responsibility, comes bills! Ha! I wouldn't trade my current status for a "Sex in the City" type of life anyway. I like being boring and conventional. I like being old and mature.

So...interesting how I move from gardening plans to commentary on my single life in a small town. You never know what's going to show up on here!

No comments: